Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Chicken and Broccoli Casserole

 Ingredients:
-1 lb. cooked broccoli that is broken into pieces
-3 C. cooked chicken broken into pieces
-1 1/2 C. grated cheddar cheese
-2 tubes Ritz crackers (I did not like the ritz, I would not include this next time or I would substitute something else for the topping.)
-1/2 C melted butter
-1 TB poppy seeds

Sauce Ingredients:
-1/3 C melted butter
-1/4 C cornstarch mixed with 1/2 C water
-1/3 C chicken broth
-1/4 tsp salt
-1/4 tsp pepper
-2 C milk
-1 1/2 C cheddar cheese (this is separate from the cheese from above)

Directions:
  1. Place the chicken and broccoli in a pan.
  2. In a saucepan mix together all the ingredients for the sauce except for the cheddar cheese. Stir until sauce thickens.
  3. Turn heat to low and stir in the cheddar cheese for the sauce and stir until melted.
  4. Pour the sauce over the chicken and broccoli.
  5. Top with the rest of the cheese, 1 1/2 C.
  6. Melt the butter, 1/2 C, and mix in the poppy seeds.
  7. This next part I loved how I could get my daughter to help but as I said above I would substitute the Ritz with something else that won't get soggy so quickly. Put the Ritz, or whatever you use, into a bag and mash it up into crumbs. I let my daughter do this, well at least begin the process!
  8. Add the crumbs of the crackers to the butter and poppy seed mixture and stir well. Then put the mixture on top of the cheddar cheese.
  9. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
  10.  
    This was really good and really easy, the only thing I would have changed was the Ritz but besides that I liked it a lot!
     
     

No comments:

Post a Comment