Thursday, February 19, 2015

Crushed Jolly Ranchers for Cute Dessert Toppings

Let me just start by saying that I love play dates. Why? Well it is because play dates mean I get to talk to moms who understand what I am going through and I get at least an hour where I get to talk to people who can form whole sentences before my husband gets home from work. This past year I have made a lot of new mom friends during play dates and I have been loving it!

One of the play dates my daughter had last year was one right before Halloween to decorate sugar cookies. We all met at the park, because we live in Georgia and it is still 70 degrees out in the middle of October, and we all brought something to help with the cookie decorating. I had signed up for candy and the morning of I scrambled around my kitchen trying to find something that would work and I found Jolly Ranchers.

I thought it might be silly, and probably a risk of breaking teeth, if I left them whole so I tried to break them up. First I tried putting them in a plastic bag and hitting them with the handle of a whisk but I just ended up with some jolly rancher dust and a bag full of holes. This obviously was not working so I whipped out Pintrest on my phone and found the perfect way to get crushed pieces of jolly ranchers without making a huge mess.

Supplies:
  • Jolly Ranchers
  • Non-stick Baking Sheet or Parchment Paper or Cooking Spray
Directions:


1. Unwrap the Jolly Ranchers and place on a baking sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray, has parchment paper lined on it or is non stick. (I used a silicone liner)

2. Preheat the oven to 275 degrees.

3. Bake for 7-8 minutes.



4. Let them sit for about 5 minutes, until the start to harden.

5. Break them apart with your hands.

That's it! So simple and it was very quick and the kids loved them! They would also look great on top of cupcakes.

What are your favorite toppings for sugar cookies?

2 comments:

  1. I think I have found the new "fire" for the campfire cupcakes that I have been wanting to make. How fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would look really good! If you make them you should def share some pictures, maybe I can even post a picture on this post! :)

      Delete